12.09.2008

I Am Legend

Sweet Jesus. It seems an impossibility that Richard Matheson's wonderful, wicked, creepy masterpiece I Am Legend will ever be appropriately adapted. They've tried, more or less successfully, with The Last Man on Earth and Omega Man, both fun and different enough that you could easily ignore them as I Am Legend adaptations. But then comes this mess with Will Smith at the helm. IAL feels like it wants to be just another Will Smith action movie, which only succeeds in bastardizing the title of Matheson's novel. Smith tries hard, and does well enough, but there is nothing you can do to save this stinker. Maybe I am just biased (actually, I most assuredly am), but this should have been so much better. And remember, you future adapters of I Am Legend, this is a vampire story, that is what it is about, that is why it was cool. No more shitty CG zombies.

Genre - Action (2.25)

Screenplay (2)
Acting (3)
Production (2)
Directing (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment