12.11.2008

Punch-Drunk Love

My favorite P.T. Anderson film. He is a director who will be remembered for films like Magnolia and There Will Be Blood, but this is the one I'll remember.

Without hesitation, I can say I rarely care for Adam Sandler in anything, but this was the role he was meant for. His Barry is so damned weird, he's lovable. The whole movie is a little off-the-wall, super-romantic you just smile watching it. And that's knowing about the phone hooker, the three blond brothers trying to steal Barry's money, and Philip Seymour Hoffman kicking ass as The Mattress Man. The first ten minutes will try your understanding, but once past them it is wonderful. Upon a second viewing, those ten minutes will be much more appreciated. But the one warning I have to give: if you expect another dumb Adam Sandler vehicle, be prepared to be disappointed.

Genre - Comedy (3.5)

Screenplay (3)
Acting (4)
Production (3)
Directing (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment