2.25.2009

Blindness

Some critics might call Blindness unwatchable (ha ha...), and others will claim it will open your eyes (ha...ha...ha) to the injustice any minority faces. I wont side with either extreme, and simply say Blindness is okay. Now, as GenReview is about avoiding unnecessary comparisons, I will only say the book Blindness is based on is a masterpiece. It blew me away, and has a lasting impact on its readers. But I don't compare the film to the novel, because they are two separate entities. Whether one is good or bad doesn't effect the other. Blindness, as a film, works for the most part. It has the drama, and follows the dark, yet hopeful plot of the novel, almost as if they pulled the some things straight from the pages. And Fernando Meirelles directs the hell out of every frame. He crafts beautiful images out of bleak and sinister scenes, and throughout the film I was hooked on what I was seeing. So what doesn't work? The whole thing feels a bit rushed, and I wish I had more time to observe the results of this fascinating plague of blindness. And the characters, or at least some of them, are not as clearly drawn as they should be. The characters, thrust unwillingly into this new world, should interest me deeply, and only a handful of them did.

Genre - Drama (3)

Screenplay (3)
Acting (2)
Production (3)
Directing (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment