2.13.2009

Friday The 13th (2009)

It seems, in my humble opinion, that the slasher genre is often misunderstood. Which is odd, figuring how mindless a genre it typically is. Audiences and critics just don't seem to get how these slice-and-dice films work. The formula is simple: a killer murders victims (young and often half-dressed) in inventive ways that lead to tons of bloodshed. Sure, they can be more than that, but often this is what you get. When will people understand this?

But, to get back on track, does this work for Friday the 13th? I say yes. While some may label me a heretic, I will say that the original Friday the 13th left me underwhelmed. It is the only Friday movie I've seen, and it didn't make me care enough to seek others. And Jason wasn't even in it. But this new, sleek, Jason-filled Friday the 13th reboot is a blast. It starts quick, and the violence and nudity continue until the credits roll. What more could you ask for? The film is fun, never takes itself too seriously, but wisely chooses not to mock itself. Some things seem outlandish (duh, slasher movie), and that is due to uninspired screenwriting. But the directing and technical aspects are fantastic. A worthy entry into the slasher genre.

Genre - Horror (3.25)

Screenwriting (2)
Acting (3)
Production (4)
Directing (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment