3.06.2009

The Watchmen

I guess I understand the mixed reviews on The Watchmen. It was a film that was sure to divide many, leaving people in split camps. As a reader of the graphic novel, and an all around lover of film, I find myself set firmly in the loved it camp. The Watchmen translated a piece of fiction many thought was impossible to film, and brought to life some wonderful, if not troubled, characters. Sure, some changes were made, and artistic license taken, but that is the nature of such works. I thought The Watchmen worked both as a great adaptation, and as a fun, exciting action film.

There is intense action and beautifully captured images (occasionally one and the same). Zack Snyder did a wonderful job behind the camera, but because of the enormity that surrounded this project, I'm sure he will still have his naysayers. And because the characters, the "heroes," of The Watchmen are the most important aspects of the story, I believe the acting work captured the essence of each watchman. Rorschach is still one of the finest heroes in existence, and Jackie Earle Haley made him flesh. Patrick Wilson and Malin Akerman were both fantastic, but aside from Haley's work, Jeffrey Dean Morgan as The Comedian was a scene stealer. The man has a charm, which is not easy to portray with such a slimy character. And while the film stretches to nearly three hours in length, I didn't really notice. I was so absorbed in what I was seeing. For me, this was one of the finer comic book (or graphic novel) adaptations we'll likely see. Hell, the film even had some commentary in it, so I give it kudos for that.

Genre - Action (4)

Screenplay (4)
Acting (4)
Production (4)
Directing (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment