4.08.2009

The Bourne Ultimatum

The Bourne Ultimatum is hands down one of the greatest action films of the decade (and certainly among the best of all time), which is something I never thought I'd say prior to seeing it. Now, I saw it awhile ago, and then a couple more times in between, and it keeps getting better. That is about the best compliment you can give a film, and I have no trouble doing it. But lets look back first. The Bourne Identity left me cold, and despite the interesting premise was completely forgettable. Then The Bourne Supremacy, which improved with a new director and style, but it was still weighted down with a little too much bloat. Then something happened. Director Paul Greengrass and screenwriter Tony Gilroy have crafted a lean, mean, killing machine. And I'm not just talking about spy Jason Bourne, hahahaha. I take that horrendous joke back. Though the message is still true. The story in The Bourne Ultimatum is enough to keep you interested, and answer questions, all while moving at breakneck speed. Never does the film slow down, which certainly makes it difficult to juggle an interesting story and incredible action set pieces. One fight in particular, when Bourne fights assassin Desh, audiences are treated to an up close, brutal fight that leaves you breathless by the end. And that is how I felt by the time the credits rolled, and still turn to it when the call for an intense, thrilling action flick is sounded.

Genre - Action (4)

Screenplay (4)
Acting (4)
Production (4)
Directing (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment