5.19.2009

Step Brothers

Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. A pair that could be quite potent. In fact, the potential a film like Step Brothers had was huge. But it didn't live up to that potential, and instead fell short (obviously...right?). Unfortunately, there were some very funny parts, little gems that were scattered throughout, that made the whole affair decent, but not great. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly have a great chemistry, and I would love to see them work together again. Here is my biggest complaint though, which you may have already have guessed by now: the script. The "story" is only half-heartedly sandwiched between the comedy routines I imagine were thought through long before the rest of the movie. So, besides a handful of moments of inspired genius, Step Brothers was kind of a disappointment. Well, wait, I don't want to say I didn't enjoy myself while watching the film, just that I was constantly hoping for more. Which is weird, because I usually find myself feeling this way after Will Ferrell films, understanding a strong idea was behind the film, but one that wasn't fully realized. And Richard Jenkins should have been given better. He is great at drama, and I liked seeing him tackle comedy. I'm sure another version of the same idea will come along again, if not just in terms of feeling, so this is just a stepping stone to something greater. At least I hope.

Genre - Comedy (2.25)

Screenplay (2)
Acting (3)
Production (2)
Directing (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment