1.16.2009

Barton Fink

Man, what to say? I do know that Joel and Ethan Coen sure have some strange thoughts floating around their heads. Barton Fink starts off slow, average even, but once Fink himself settles into the world of Hollywood and motion pictures, things take off. Suddenly, decisions and actions of the characters become confusing and make little sense. Is it just that Fink (John Tuturro) has sold out, living in a world bordered by heaven and hell, left to suffer the consequences of his choices? Who knows, but dammit if I didn't find myself captivated, wanting more when the movie ended, but knowing there was nothing left to add. Speaking of the ending, it was one that screamed Coen brothers, and that is most definitely a compliment. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but John Goodman steals the show, and I actually wished he had been in it more. Something about his pairing with the Coen's, perhaps, but he can be quite the actor. This one will stay with you, even if you don't find yourself immediately impressed.

Genre - Comedy (3.75)

Screenplay (4)
Acting (3)
Production (4)
Directing (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment