3.03.2009

RocknRolla

I'll give Guy Ritchie credit. He knows his stuff on one particular subject. Snatch was an entertaining British gangster flick. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels was an entertaining British gangster flick. Wait, what? See, he knows his subject well. RocknRolla was a sidestep from those two films, with an attempt at a more sophisticated plot with more sophisticated characters. Did he succeed? Not entirely. I appreciated the effort, but Guy Ritchie is an action man, and I think he tried to avoid the action and focus on the story. I know that seems like a weird complaint, but it's true. With more action, akin to his former films, RocknRolla would have been far more enjoyable. But I guess it would have just been his usual, so again, I appreciated the effort. I hope in following films Ritchie will continue to explore a more complex story, but he shouldn't forget what he does best: action. That said, RocknRolla was a decent film, much better than I expected in the story department. Never a bad thing.

Genre - Action (2.75)

Screenplay (2)
Acting (4)
Production (3)
Directing (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment