2.16.2009

Primer

Wow. What can I say about Primer? In short, I loved it. The film is quiet, but intellectually stimulating and fresh. Shane Carruth is the man, literally, behind every aspect of Primer. He wrote, directed, starred, edited, etc. And all on a $7,000 budget. Impressive to say the least. But what on the story? Primer is film about time travel, and how it ties with the idea of causality, without becoming muddled or ridiculous. Sure, Primer is confusing, but I know there is an answer to the questions posed, even if I haven't figured them all out yet. It just goes to show that a film that deals with time travel need not be a science fiction film, or loaded with special effects and silly plots, but can center on a very human, down-to-earth story. Just what the consequences time travel can be, even when only a few short hours are traveled between, which may make the film that much more compelling. I'll need another viewing or two to fully wrap my mind around the twists of Primer, but it will be a pleasure, rather than a chore, to do so.

Genre - Drama (3.5)

Screenplay (4)
Acting (3)
Production (4)
Directing (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment