4.22.2009

Inside

I haven't seen this much blood spilled on screen since Peter Jackson's Dead Alive. Sure, I enjoy myself a gory movie just as much as the next horror buff, but damn. I guess movies made outside the U.S. really know how to utilize gore (Dead Alive being from New Zealand), and Inside, from France, escalates the blood factor as the ending draws nearer, perhaps even rivaling Peter Jackson's classic. Wait, you can't beat that lawnmower scene. Sorry. Now, I'm aware I'm focusing a lot on blood, but good Christ, there is a ton of it here. The story, which centers around a pregnant woman alone on Christmas Eve and who is subsequently terrorized by a psychotic woman, builds slowly, until the climax arrives, and it does so with a fury. All the best aspects of foreign horror are here; super depressing, twisty, and (shocking) it is actually creepy. Inside is fairly self-contained, with most of it taking place in the pregnant woman's home, more specifically her bathroom. There are all sorts of boundaries pushed with Inside, more so than any American film would dare, and the result is refreshing. The only complaint? While I kind of dug the climax, it unrolled fairly slowly and upped the ridiculous factor a little too high, but overall, it still is fun. I dare any viewer to watch Inside without squirming just a little, especially when the baby stuff comes into play. Good luck.

Genre - Horror (3.5)

Screenplay (3)
Acting (3)
Production (4)
Directing (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment